Vegan Chocolate Hot Cross Buns perfect for the Easter weekend! I made this using my lovely baking bundle from JAR which is the most fantastic online eco store!
Here's what you need below:
· 3 1/3 cups of cake flour (from JAR)
· 1/2 cup of white sugar (from JAR)
· 2 teaspoons instant yeast (from JAR)
· 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
· 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
· Pinch of salt
· 1 cup of Nova choc chips (from JAR)
· 1/3 cup oil
· 1 cup warm plant-based milk
· 1 teaspoon vanilla (from JAR)
For the crosses:
· 3 tablespoons cake flour (from JAR)
· 2 1/2 tablespoons plant-based milk
For the glaze
· 1/4 cup of white sugar (from JAR)
· 1/4 cup of water
· 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
1. In your mixing bowl add in all your dry ingredients and mix.
2. Warm up your plant-based milk slightly.
3. Add all your wet ingredients to your dry mix and combine until a dough forms.
4. Flour your kitchen surface and knead your dough for 5 minutes.
5. Roll your dough out into a long sausage about 40-45cm long and slice into even balls of about 4-5 cm.
6. Place the balls into your oiled baking dish and bake for allow to rise for 30 minutes covered in a warm place.
7. While your dough finishes rising mix together the ingredients for your crosses and place the mix into your piping bag.
8. Preheat your oven to 180 °C.
9. Pipe the crosses onto your buns and place them in the oven thank bake for 25-30 minutes.
11. While your hot cross buns finish baking in the oven, start with your glaze by placing the water and sugar in a saucepan on the stove at medium to high heat. Continue to stir until the sugar dissolves. Once the sugar has dissolved, mix in the vanilla and remove it from heat.
10. Remove your buns from the oven and brush with the glaze straight away and enjoy!